Monday, July 09, 2007

Grandma's Autobiography

I'm lucky enough to have been given the opportunity to transcribe my grandmother's autobiography. A task which I have been taking rather slowly. Too slowly, probably. But anyway, i came across a portion today that I felt really illustrated who my grandmother was. To me, she was one of those special people who lived her life "under the radar". A special person who very few people realized was special.

This is from her story:
It was about 4:30 am when I left for work, and I had to drive through the small town of Canfield. One morning was passing through the village when I saw four-foot flames pouring out of the roof of a farmhouse. I stopped my car and ran up to the house to pound on the door. At first nobody answered, but then a little dog came barking at the door, followed by a lady in her nightie. I told her that her house was on fire, and she screamed for her daughter and husband, and then ran back upstairs.
I saw they had climbed out onto the veranda roof, so I went across the road and got someone to phone the firemen. They came and got the couple off the roof. I heard later that after the fire was out, the woman went back inside and found out that the ceiling had collapsed right on her bed. I guess that was a close call for them. I never heard anymore about it. I just went to work.

3 comments:

Louise said...

wow your grandma was a special person! its sad how times have changed so that people just dont have the same respect for each other anymore. but it must be nice for you to have your grandma's memoirs to look up to. it is very touching.

Moby Dick said...

How is your diet going?

Unknown said...

when mom was "at work" she could talk to anyone. She would joke around ,ask how you were, and having complete strangers tell them their life story. Outgoing in the extreme.
Away from work she was so shy she had very few friends. Couldn't even have someone over for a coffee. Her family was everything to her as she could never admit this.
When she went to the craft fairs, the friendliness came back to her.
Her memiors are special because she lets you see inside her .....mom