Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Dumbledore is a Pussy

Ok, so due to some late timing, I ended up seeing Harry Potter 4 for the third time at the theatre again last night. I saw it the first time because I wanted to go, and some friends were going. I saw it the second time because my mother wanted to see it. I saw it the third time because I thought the movie I was there to see (Aeon Flux) started at 10:40 pm when in fact it started at 10:20 pm.

So, I saw the movie for a third time. What can I say? It doesn't really stand up to a third viewing. While the special effects are incredible, the writing and character dialogues seem weaker every time I see it. As much as I love George and Fred in the books, in the movies their dialogue seems hackneyed at best.

The next time you watch this movie, study the new Dumbledore. The guy is a pure pussy. I counted at least 7 different situations in which he flinched in evident fear - from fire, from loud noises, from the scary Krum and his school chums. You name it, it makes Dumbledore flinch. Now, compare this to only 3 flinches from Harry, and that little fucker had to fight Voldemort.
The big dance also bothered me a bit. Two of the four champions are Cedric and Krum. Now, we establish early on that both boys are at least 17 years old, perhaps older. When it comes time for the dance, Krum decides, that out of all the women at Hogwarts, he should invite Hermione. A 14 year old girl.
Cedric, being smart and handsome, also has his pick of eligable young women. He decides to ask Cho who is ... well, a 14 year old girl. Now, is it just me, or does the idea of a couple of 17-18 year old guys deciding to date 14 year old girls feel just a little creepy?

There are also a number of just plain foolish mistakes. Take for instance Harry vs. the dragon. He has the bright idea to cast accio (a spell which makes distant objects come to you) to have his broomstick come to him, so he could fly around the dragon and fetch the golden egg. So why the hell didn't he cast accio on the damned egg?

So, overall, its a fun movie and worth seeing, but someone really needs to start tooling the dialogue and story. And maybe cast some kind of magical de-pussifying spell on Dumbledore.

3 comments:

Kim Ayres said...

I took my son to see it a few days ago, and like you was impressed with the special effects, but thought that all the character development was woeful. They basically cut out just about everything from the book that wasn't a big action scene.

Having said that, my son, who is 10 and a half, thought it was the best Harry Potter film to date. I guess the movie makers know that it's more important to please children than it is to satisfy grumpy middle aged men like us.

Don Q. said...

Dumbledore is my favorite character from the books. The new one is just terrible. Now, I realize that it is not practical to have Richard Harris continue in the role (as he is dead), but couldn't they find someone who played it like he did. Just ruins both movies for me. I don't think I'm going to bother with the rest.

Anonymous said...

Yeah.. the new dumbley-dore sucks..
He looks like a doddering alcoholic,
gotta do something about that!!!