Thursday, January 12, 2006

Diet: Week 13

STARTING WEIGHT: 281.6 pounds
THIS WEEK’S CHANGE: - 6.3 pounds
TOTAL WEIGHT LOST: 30.1 pounds
CURRENT WEIGHT: 251.5 pounds

Ok, yes, I know it has been a long time since I posted a diet update. Many of you (ok, maybe 1 or 2 of you) might suspect the reason would be that I have quit my diet. No, no, my pessimistic friend(s). My Weight Watchers membership is over now (it ended mid December) and I'm not about to shell out another $150 just to go to dull weekly meetings and get a pamphlet.

Unfortunately, until last night, I did not possess my own scale, so couldn't weigh myself for updates. I did get a scale yesterday, much to my surprise. It seems my upstairs neighbour Ron (who, incidentally, is a helluva nice guy) red my earlier blog comments about not having a scale, and took it upon himself to rectify the situation.

Ron works in an appliance store, and brought home with him a variety of different scales for me to view and choose from. I picked the one I liked the best (a basic model with a built-in lithium-ion battery), and just like that, I was the proud owner of a new bathroom scale.

So, you see the results above. A loss of 6 pounds over a 6.3 week period isn't great, but considering the holiday time over that period, its not too bad either. I'll be sure and practice a greater degree of fidelity when it comes to documenting my weight loss over the following weeks.

I knew that I was going to stray from the diet over the Christmas/New Years holiday. I think it is important - hell, vital - to recognize that dieting is hard enough on a day-to-day basis without trying to maintain control on certain special days. I didn't go hog wild or anything - my rule was simple. Starting on Christmas Eve (after 6:00 pm), through Christmas Day and Boxing Day, I was not on a diet. The same rule took place on New Years Eve.

I didn't do too badly. I stayed a way from the chocolates and candies (ok, I confess, ate one Turtle), and even threw out several boxes of chocolates I received as gifts. I wanted to give them away to others, but I knew if I kept them in the house overnight, I would eat them. The only place those chocolates were going to end up that night was in the garbage or in my gut.

I really enjoyed my holidays, and enjoyed my Christmas dinner, snacks, and the like on other days. I did this without going nuts, but without depriving myself.

As of this date, I am even more determined to stick to my diet. I promised myself right from the start that once I had lost 40 pounds, I was going to treat myself to an order of wings. I am now 9.9 pounds away from this goal. Can I get a whoo hoo?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wooo (lip smack...munch munch...burp) hoo. I have no idea why my (mmmm...dark chocolate...slurp) isn't going nearly as (mmmmmm more chocolate) well.

C

Anonymous said...

Whoo freaking Whoo!
Congrats my friend and well done.

Don Q. said...

Weight loss during the month of December is extremely impressive, particularly if you're not Muslim. Well done.

Kim Ayres said...

Whoo Hoo and much other noises of approval. A 6lb weight loss is fantastic for this time of year.

Just make sure that you keep eating healthily, rather being tempted to focus purely on calorie intake.

Beard tugging respect to you!