Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Projects

I love writing. Before I go much further, I want to make the following disclaimer: Ash does not think he is hot shit just because he is a writer. Ash is fully aware that he has nothing published (well, apart from one poem), and does not earn a living from writing. Ash is not pretentious. Ash is also fully aware of the irony that arises by writing in the third person to claim that he is not pretentious.

Ever since I have been a kid, I have wanted to write. I did write a fair bit as a teen, and have tried several times as an adult to get works published, but have met with little success. But I stick with it because I love the process. There is a thrill that comes when a good idea hits you. You just know the idea is good, inside, and that satisfaction is unlike anything else I have experienced.

So, if I'm unpublished, how can I claim to be a writer? There is a lot of debate about what makes a person a "writer". Some people say you have to be published. Others claim that being published is not enough - your works must be well read. However, some wise person (I can't remember who) was once asked what makes a person a writer. His reply was this: "Writers write". I.e. if you write, you are a writer. I like that definiton.

I have been pretty remiss in updating my blog as of late. I think its largely to do with the fact that I don't get a lot of time to sit down and write, so when I do I prefer to work on one of the several projects I have on the go right now. I'm currently working on a full-length motion picture (along with my friend Craig), a novel, as well as a couple of short films (again with Craig).

The full-length picture is a horror movie. It will require a pretty hefty budget, so after it's done we will be shopping around for a production company. Now the short films, thats another matter. We're likely going to be producing those ourselves, and I have to say, I am extremely excited about the idea. My belly button keeps puckering every time I think about it.

Of course, I have absolutely no idea how to actually produce and film a movie, so its going to be a hell of a learning experience. I've been doing some extensive reading on the subject, including advice on how to avoid the pit falls that threaten new producers. For example, I have learned that it is not a good idea to sleep with attractive female actresses. I can't claim that I would necessarily heed that advice, however.

So, the next few months should be fairly interesting. I've completed one script, pending reviews and alterations, naturally. I'm looking into storyboarding now, and am considering some software options to assist with that task. All I know is, it's going to be fun. Of course, six months from now, I will probably post a blog entry entitled "If I had Known Then...".

2 comments:

Kim Ayres said...

I call myself a writer because that focuses me on what I am trying to achieve. I don't want to call my self a web designer, because I no longer do it for a living. We are what we decide we are.

Unknown said...

True enough, Kim!