Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Movie Review - Corpse Bride

For those of you worried about spoilers, I will not say anything to spoil anything that happens in the movie.


I have just come back from seeing Tim Burton's Corpse Bride. If I could go back in time, knowing what I know now, would I go see it again? The simple answer is no. Now, do not get me wrong, this was not a bad movie. It was a very, very enjoyable movie. If you like Burton works such as Edward Scissorhands or Nightmare Before Christmas, then you will love Corpse Bride.

All the classic elements are there - the creepy, Gothic, pale and extraordinarily skittish leading man. Who, by the way, is very likeable in his child-like simplicity. You have the beautiful romantic liason, and the creepy, disturbing, but somehow still pretty object of pathos.

The music was fantastic. Come to think of it, I'm off to download the soundtrack. Kazaa! Geshuendheit.

As an aside, I really loved the wedding music. I have to admit, my ideal wife would want that music to play at our wedding.

So, if the movie is so good, why wouldn't I recommend it? Its too darned short, that's why. One hour, 14 minutes. When you count in the opening and closing credits, its a little longer than a regular 1 hour TV show.

Now, I don't pay movie theatre prices for television-length entertainment. I felt cheated.

As I said, going in, I wasn't aware of how short the movie was. My fault, I know, the information is out there. I just never imagined - even for a moment - that Burton would rip off his fans like that.

As I was watching the movie, I could sense it was reaching its climax - the movie was ending just when I felt it should be getting good. There are entire side plots, the B and C story, that were completely dropped and ignored.

So overall, I guess Corpse Bride was good. Had Burton not cut about half an hour out of the movie, it could have been great.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just saw the Corpse Bride and I agree it was very short, there are Pixar movies longer than this. I thought the visuals and music were great but just like Nightmare before Christmas it seemed like it was missing somethig I believe it was soul. Its a pretty package but inside it's kind of empty.
Ash, I think it would be cool to use that music at your wedding, I am still going with Queens synthesized wedding march from Flash Gordon.